EASY CANNING & AN EASY MIXED BERRY JAM RECIPE
Mix and match your favorite berries such as strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries to create a quick and delightful jam using Ball® RealFruit™ Classic Pectin.
- 4 cups crushed berries, mix and match your favorites such as strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and/or raspberries
- 4 1/2 teaspoons Ball® RealFruit™ Classic Pectin
- 3 cups sugar
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
- Combine berries in an 8-quart saucepan. Gradually stir in pectin. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Add entire measure of sugar, stirring to dissolve. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam, if necessary.
- Ladle hot jam into a hot jar leaving a ¼ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar and apply band, adjust to fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Process jars 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat, remove lid, let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours. Check lids for seal, they should not flex when center is pressed.
“This post is sponsored by Newell Brands, makers of Ball® Fresh Preserving ; however, all thoughts and opinions are my own.” I grew up with a mom who would can items on a normal basis. It was a great way to save money, create memories, and have some delicious treats all year around. Summer is the perfect time of year to purchase fresh ingredients to create some delicious canning recipes. I was a little nervous to get back into canning, and I thought it would be more complicated than it actually was. It was so much fun to grab one of my boys, and start making memories. My hope is that this could be a fun tradition for us to repeat every summer. We did some small-batch canning which simplified the entire process. My middle son loves to help me out in the kitchen, and was excited to get his hands dirty, with this super-easy mixed berry jam recipe by Ball®. I love to teach my kids new skills, and this is a valuable one. It turned out delicious, and let’s just say… that he has literally asked if he can put this jam on something, every single meal. It is just that good. Ball® has everything you need to make your canning experience go super smooth. So, we laid out everything we needed, and got started. Here is the list of Tools we used to make the jam : Ball® Half-Pint Jars with Lids/Bands, Water bath canner, Jar lifter, Common kitchen utensils, Large saucepan, Canning Funnel, and a bubble remover/ headspace tool. First, we started by heating the 8oz. half-pint Ball® Canning Jars in hot water, while we started the jam. One of our favorite parts was mashing the all the berries. We needed 4 cups, and chose to mix strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries, but you can add raspberries as well if you would like. We added the berries to a saucepan, and slowly stirred in the pectin. Then we brought it to a boil, and added to the sugar to make it taste perfectly sweet. We continued to stir the mixture over the heat, and then removed the jam from the heat. Filling the jars was next, so we used the Ball® canning funnel, and set up our station. We ladled the hot jam into the jars one at a time, secured the lids, and added them back to the boiling water for 10 minutes. We let them sit for 5 more minutes, and removed them to cool for 12-24 hours. This ensures the lids properly seal to preserve the jam. We were able to use some super helpful utensils from Ball®, like their bubble remover and headspace tool that helped us know how much to put into each jar and how much room to leave at the top before adding the lid and band closures. If we could make this jam, and it turned out perfect… anyone can. Believe me. It was so fun to make and turned out delicious. If you want to make your own Mixed Berry Jam, here’s a handy list of tools and where to purchase: List the name and then have it hyperlink to the URL. Ball® Utensil Set: http://bit.ly/UtensilsTarget Ball® 8oz. Half-Pint Jars: http://bit.ly/HalfPintJar Ball® Waterbath Canner http://bit.ly/BarCanningPot I’ve learned that canning really is addictive! Once you get started you’ll discover all types of fun recipes to try. Check out this canning recipe book from Ball® found at Walmart, Target and Amazon: http://bit.ly/CanningBookBall It’s so fun to customize your jars or give them away as gifts. You can make your own batch as well with these fun custom jar tags! Make sure you visit FreshPreserving.com for more Ball® Recipes and canning ideas!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!