If your married for any amount of time, you know marriage can be hard, and it takes constant work for it to continue to thrive. We have been married for 15 years, and have had many ups and downs. Many of the “downs” were because of our lack of “connecting” with each other.
So, I am sharing 10 ways to connect with your spouse that have been helpful to us. You can easily do these today. I hope it will help your marriage thrive in a new way.
10 Ways To Connect With Your Spouse
1. Plan a date night for this week. Go out just you 2 or plan a romantic night in.
2. Send a sweet text to your spouse. Express how much you love them & how grateful you are to be married to them.
3. Touch them every hour when you are together. At some point…every hour, give them a kiss, rub their back or touch in some meaningful way.
4. Bring them a simple surprise. This could be their favorite food, flowers, or even a candy bar.
5. Have a electronic free night. Put your phones away, turn off the T.V., and spend quality time together. Play a game, catch up in a more detailed way, and set some goals together.
6. Be intimate. Yep, this is so important in marriage. Make a choice to be romantic & enjoy one of the best parts of marriage.
7. Express thankfulness. Take some time to intentionally list to your spouse the things you love and appreciate about them & how they contribute to your life and/or your family. Encourage them.
8. Pray together. Share with each other what you need prayer for & take some time to hold hands and pray with each other. Many times this will open your eyes to the real issues your spouse may be dealing with.
9. Make intentional eye contact every time they speak. Stop what your doing and give them your full attention. Put the phone down.
10. Make a meal together. Put on some music & work together in the kitchen to prepare a meal.
It is so easy over time to take each other for granted, and to not invest the energy into deepening your friendship and romantic connection.
These simple 10 tips have made a big impact on our marriage, and help both of us feel loved and appreciated.
So, I encourage you to pick a few and intentionally do them today.
Being intentional is everything in marriage. The more effort you put in, the better it is for both people. Everyone wants to feel loved, cherished, important & special. Finding ways to do that are essential for a joyful marriage that will last a lifetime.
For more articles on marriage, check out “5 Tips for having a happy marriage after kids.”
I love all of these! Physical touch is a major one for me and my husband loves quality time so we make sure to connect with each other in ways that will also fill the other person’s needs. Date night is a huge one for us too!
Yes! So very important!
I love this list and how everything is simple and doable! I’ve been doing a 24 Day Love Your Spouse Challenge and it’s amazing how small little acts each day can make such a difference. Thanks for some great ideas!
That’s awesome! YES for sure!
Thanks for sharing! Been married 15 years too, with lots of little boys. Staying close means being aware of it being one of your priorities for sure. Thanks for great ideas!